After I shared some books by POC authors on my instagram yesterday, a friend of mine gave me the idea to make a free printable reading challenge similar to our #StayHomeandRead challenge and I thought it was a great idea!
Admittedly, because I stay "plugged in" to booktube and book release emails and publisher news, I forget that so many people don't follow those channels and so may not be aware of the books that I am aware of and of course there are always going to be books I missed hearing about.
For this printable, I included a shelf of nonfiction titles that have been recommended, though admittedly, I'm not a huge nonfiction reader so I can't personally tell you a favorite.
Because I primarily read fiction, I included a second shelf of some of the popular books (mostly YA) that I've seen raved about, are on my shelf, or are on my TBR (to be read) list.
I also left a third shelf blank, because I wanted you to be able to pick some of the books by POC authors up and include them in your challenge. That way, you can personalize this challenge for yourself.
Here are some lists of books that you might want to check out:
- 31 YA Books by Black Authors That You Can't Miss This Year
- 20 YA books You Need to Read
- 40 Books for AntiRacist Teachers
- 31 Children's Books to Support Conversations on Race, Racism and Resistance
If videos are more your style, be sure to check out some of my favorite booktubers:
- Francina Simone-Her discussions especially are top notch and always make me think!
- Naya Reads and Smiles- She's always so upbeat and happy and her videos put me in an instant good mood!
- I Livie For Books- Her defacing books videos are so beautiful and relaxing!
- My Name is Marines- She's always recommending books that aren't talked about by everyone and I love hearing her opinions!
Another option for staying up to date is to follow hashtags on IG. There are many and once you start typing in one, many other ones pop up. Some ideas to get you started are #POCauthors #blackauthors #ownvoices
This one is not as formal as our regular stock, self start challenges, with no start or end date. You can download this today and print it and get started as soon as you're ready!
You can print it out on regular copy paper or sticker paper or whatever you want to use. Feel free to print as many as you need. This challenge is sized for 8.5 x 11, but here's a handy guide for resizing printables to fit your planner.
Book titles are written on the book spines of the image. As you read a book, simply color in the books and by the end, you'll have a full color, beautiful bookshelf! When you finish, please tag me on instagram @creatingandco or use #creatingandco so I can see it!
CHECK OUT NOTE: Our system requires a log in and info for a secure "checkout" process, even if it's a free one like this. You are NOT required to receive any additional promotions or anything like that. When it asks, just make sure that checkbox is not marked and you shouldn't have to input any credit card or payment info. If you are uncomfortable with entering in your name and email in our checkout process, then email me at email@example.com and I will send you the file.
This kit includes:
• 1 PNG image file sized to be print on a letter size sheet of paper or smaller.
These printable stickers are strictly for your own personal use—please do not share my files or print them out for others for free or for profit.
(these are affiliate links to amazon so if you purchase with my link, I get a small percentage but there is no additional cost to you)
- sticker paper: This is the paper that I used when we first started our shop!
- silhouette portrait (a portrait is perfectly fine for stickers. You only need a silhouette cameo if you want to cut things wider than 8 inches)
- Printer + Printer Ink: You do NOT need a super fancy or expensive printer for home use. Just one that prints color nicely like canon.
For a more in depth look at our printable stickers instructions, please visit our blog post.
• Make sure when printing, you print on the best setting for your printer and as “actual size” or 100% to get the best results
• Your color results will vary based on your printer
• No refunds can be issued due to the digital nature of the product
Files will be downloaded in a compressed format. (either .rar or .zip)
To extract, download winRAR, a free program, and follow their instructions.