Instead of Harry Potter Read...
Looking for some LGBT+ inclusive reads that have the same vibes as Harry Potter? I know, same. So the Creating & Co Book club and I put our heads together and came up with some books on our list that fit the bill!
We're not doing an official event for this one, but we ARE doing a fundraising release for this weekend! We'll have 5 magic/Harry Potter inspired kits that we'll be donating 25% of the sales to Human Rights Campaign!
Human Rights Campaign an organization that envisions a world where every member of the LGBTQ family has the freedom to live without fear, and with equality under the law. Check out their website here: https://www.hrc.org/
Now, let's get into these book recs! I tried to pick a few for everyone so there's some older YA type reads and a few younger YA reads and even a graphic novel!
*Note: these are amazon affiliate links, which means that there's no extra cost to you, but if you pick up the book, I get a few cents in my book fund!
- Magic for Liars: Ivy never wanted to be magical, but she's been hired to investigate a murder at the magical school her sister teaches at, which shows her life how it could have been.
- Cemetery Boys: Yadriel has summoned a ghost and he can't get rid of him. Only wanting to prove himself as a real brujo, he tries to take the matter into his own hands, except he accidentally summons the school's resident bad boy, who doesn't want to accept death at all.
- Infinity Son: Stuck in a magical war, two brother idolize spell walkers, the vigilante group sworn to get rid of specters. Wanting the cycle of violence to end, Emil manifests a power that is all his own...except it puts him right at the heart of the conflict.
- Carry On: Originally started as interludes in the novel, Fangirl, Carry on is technically a Simon Snow (Harry Potter) fanfic. It follows Simon, who is the worst chosen one that's ever been chosen, and his roommate Baz.
- In Other Lands: Follows Elliot, a 13 year old boy who wants to cross the Border. Since he can see the wall and no one else can, he's invited to go to school in the Borderlands.
- The Witch Boy: In Aster's family, all girls are raised to be witches, while boys grow up to be shapeshifter. Except Asher hasn't shifted and just really loves witchery, even if it is forbidden. A mysterious danger threatens the other boys and Aster knows he can help...as a witch. This one is a graphic novel.
- Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: Magnus Chase has been surviving on the streets of Boston for two years. When he learns someone else is trying to track him down, he tries to outmaneuver the man, because he's always heard he's not good. A friend rambles about Norse history and Magnus's birthright and Magnus is faced with a choice...sometimes the only way to die is to start a new life.
- The Extraordinaries: Nick Bell just wants to write Extraordinaries fanfiction, but after a chance encounter with Shadow Star, he sets out to make himself extraorinary.
- The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (audiobook is voiced by the actor who played Tom Riddle in Chamber of Secrets!): Monty is going on a world tour with his best friend, Percy, but their trip turns into a worldwide manhunt and he is left with everything he knows called into question
Some honorable mentions not seen on our Instagram!
- Labyrinth Lost
- Reign of the Fallen
- The Siren and the Sword
- Lumberjanes (graphic novel)
- Mooncakes (graphic novel)
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
- Trials of Apollo
- Last Herald Mage
Quick Note: I have read a couple of these, but many are going on my TBR so if there's an error with one of these, please just let me know in my IG DMs and I'll remove it!
If you have a rec, make sure you comment it below OR head back to our instagram and comment there!
A few of the items you don't want to miss...